26th november
Torrential rain and storms all night - woke me up several times. And there’s a branch or leaf that keeps swiping the roof when the wind blows hard. It really is annoying.
It's a sunny morning but I have lost my keys - I think maybe I left them outside when I fed Negra first thing.
Over has now found my keys. I left them in the tool shed padlock as I thought. I hope the guys come today because I could do with a dose of civilisation and people.
The kid goes to school at seven and he is not steering the horse again. Yep, I’m putting my money on the horse being the studious one…
Sometimes when I’m sitting at the desk in the kitchen or at any time while I’m in the house in fact, a drone will attract my attention. It belongs to the fluorescent blue-purple hummingbirds that seem so attracted to the pink bulbous flowers. They dart around and then hang in the air just before then bloom, making tiny movements before probing the flowers with their curled beaks. And then they fly backwards, the only bird that can. I think the general arrangement of the flowers in the lawn around the house was designed with these birds in mind, so that they have to come close to the house to feed.
Evening now - no-show from the guys. I hate it when someone says they going to do something then don't do it. I tried to ring the house from three yards in front of the avocado tree at the side of the small clearing one hundred and fifty yards up the hill, and I even managed to get through but I only got Daniella the maid who speaks no English. It not a problem that they are not here, just bloody annoying! I'll go into Puerto Viejo tomorrow morning and get supplies, find Internet etc.
Here I am escaping the western world and capitalism in general by immersing myself in the midst of the rainforest - with my mobile phone, a laptop and my Frosties! Technology and the rain forest don’t mix. I need a map marked with ‘X’ to get a signal on the phone, the battery is flat on the laptop, I have no electricity to charge it up, my Frosties are soggy and I have no milk for them anyway!
Do I feel alone? Strange to say I don’t think I’ve had time to think about it, so the answer must be ‘No’. I have a lizard in my boot, a bat in my wardrobe, a dog at my door, spiders in my boxer shorts, hummingbirds outside my window and my coffee is not suitable for vegetarians – how on earth could anyone say that I am alone. (Not to mention the Cayman crocodile that hasn’t even bothered to introduce himself yet.)
“What has two heads, five arms and seven legs?”
“A crocodile coming back from the park!”
It also occurs to me that I’m a little hypocritical to come here and save the rain forest – we chopped ours down centuries ago and got fat on the proceeds… but I do have an idea to improve the local economies – mine for coal! There must be loads of it…


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home