The 'No Motorcycle' Diaries

welcome to the 'no motorcycle' diaries. You'll get more from it if you read from the beginning of november rather than reading backwards from here. ... i'm trying to find Che but I've lost my motorbike...

Saturday, December 02, 2006

2nd december

About a dozen tan coloured floppy eared cows go hoofing past in the opposite direction to those that went past yesterday. A man walking behind them may have been steering them or he may not - the road is too narrow to tell. They may have just been running away from him. About an hour later, about twenty go back in the opposite direction. If the floppy eared cows are spying on me, they are not going about it very well. They are not at all discreet.
The rain forest is certainly busy today what with all the floppy eared cows.
The rain forest has a very low hum to it – I think it equates to background radiation. There is rarely much wind here, but always some breeze so the brushing of leaves against each other, coupled with the faint sound of the running water, the cicadas, birds and the ‘sound’ of the humidity all conspire. You don’t think about it but it’s always there. You have to listen really hard and dissect the sound of silence to truly be able to appreciate its constituent parts.
The plants outside the windows that I think were planted there deliberately with hummingbirds in mind are a godsend. Sometimes, I’ll sit there for ages and watch the tiny things buzz around, extracting the pollen with their curved beaks. They manoeuvre so well with their tiny jerky movements. It’s a shame they are so swift at what they do, that they are there and gone.
Tried to clean the house again this morning and rearrange things. I created some pot plants by cutting through empty pop and water bottles. I pierced some holes in the bottom for drainage, put some soil in there and found a couple of the nice small plants. One is a small fern and the other is a yellow grass plant. I weeded the flower patch box by the nursery and also the vegetable patch so I can plant something. The boxes were full of straggly weeds and the soil looked pretty lifeless but we’ll see what grows. I planted the remains of an onion that I had eaten which had some roots sprouting from it, and something else I found in one of the drawers, which I think is ginger.
I haven't seen the schoolboy all week. I wonder if it's half term or something. I’m not having this! Tomorrow morning, I’ll do a roll call.

What if we're the ultimate computer programme, created by Superbeings or God etc? One that lasts millions of years - or just seems to by our own scale. Maybe all the planets are different programmes or experiments, in the same way that we experiment to check the best conditions for plants. Maybe we are growing well but like a plant invading another, we are about to be cut back.
Aren't we weeds? Aren’t we the most pervasive thing on this planet, in this programme? If the programme were paused ten minutes to allow the Superbeing go for a tea break, would we know? What if there was a computer virus? Would we suffer and expire? What if outbreaks of disease are really some kind of computer virus? What if greed is a computer virus and the Superbeing programmers are trying hard to eradicate it as we speak?
Maybe there's another planet identical to ours where humans feel each other's pain somehow and we are only basic compared to them, like a control condition. Feeling each other’s pain - now there is an interesting concept.
We would all make changes to the world if we could. What if natural selection came with some interesting things? Maybe some simple but fascinating mutations. What if foreheads changed colour depending on the level of happiness of a person (or changed colour if they'd just had sex)? That would put an end to the adultery in the world. Personally, I would design it so that every crime or immoral act left a slight trace of metal in the bottom lip. I would then magnetise the pavements and any time I wanted some fun, I would flick a switch and every cruel person's bottom lip would immediately be sucked to the pavement and their face with it and they would be stuck to the floor. And of course, people who were only a little bit naughty would be walking like gorillas because of the magnetism pulling their face just partway down causing them to stoop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home