7th december
It rained heavily all night. I woke up several times and always found the thrumming noise of the rain pounding against the tin sheets. It's now 9am and it has been hammering down consistently all morning too. It makes me pretty housebound. The marsh has risen by about three inches since yesterday and the gullies that I'd dug in the swamp have become deluged and are long since submerged, water spilling out everywhere. At least this will clear the few stagnant areas in the marsh that had emerged during the dry spell. I lean on the balcony rail watching the rain streaming down and stick my foot into the torrent of water cascading from the gutterless roof - it is surprisingly warm.
I notice a tree on the other side of the swamp standing square and dignified against the onslaught, in fact it looks better than usual. I could barely see it through the haze of the rain but it’s massive and probably more ancient than anything else around. I’ve seen it before but it has sort of grown on me and now I’ve decided that it’s my tree and it’s definitely the big fat king of this part of the rainforest. Can’t really work out how tall it is because I’ve left my theodolyte in my other pants but it’s the highest tree in sight and that’s saying something because there is quite a bit of competition.
Over comes over looking for some food for his pig - he has run out. Like I am going to have some food for his pig? What, in my socks or something? Do I look like a pig food person? I’m sorry Over but I left all my pig food in my other pants! He says David is coming back tomorrow and he needs to because he needs to go to Puerto Viejo to get some more pig meal.
My pants are getting quite full. I think they now hide a crucifix, a theodolyte and some pig food.
Dave Jr. and Joe turn up at 11am. I tell them they are taking me back with them, which they do. Dave takes Over into town first for cerdo-grub and he returns and takes me back to Alajuela.
I'm back in the guest room at the Gardella's house. Dave Sr. is in the states visiting his elderly mother and Dave Jr has gone to some strip joint with his mates. I didn’t want to invite myself along but I wouldn’t have minded going. I have no idea where Cecilia is.
I charge up my batteries on the laptop and do some typing.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home